Thursday, December 2, 2010

Port Cranberry Sauce




I haven't eaten cranberry "sauce" out of a can since like, 2004, when I discovered how amazing homemade cranberry sauce was.  I usually try a new one every year but they all follow the same general theme.  Some are classics, some have some pizzaz.  And, honestly, it is so easy to make, it's practically as easy as cracking open a canned version, but tastes a WHOLE lot better. So next Thanksgiving, or even for Christmas, I'd say try one yourself!

This year I wanted to stray away from the classic and try something new, so I found one that was infused with ruby port.

Port-Cranberry Sauce, borrowed from Food & Wine

Makes about 2 cups (or, more than enough for a family of 4)

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup ruby port
  • 3 strips of orange zest, in match-stick size pieces
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
  • 12 ounces fresh cranberries
  • 3/4 cup sugar
In a medium saucepan, mix together the port, orange zest, and orange juice, and bring to a boil.

Add the cranberries and sugar and simmer over medium-low heat until the sauce is jam-like, or about 25 minutes.

Transfer to a serving bowl, and serve warm or at room temperature.

Ending notes: This sauce was a bit too bitter for my tastes.  My sister really liked it, but I think next year I'm going to stick with the classic version.   Cooper's Thanksgiving plate is above.

No comments :