Monday, March 16, 2015

Dining in New York: Traif


I took January off from the dining scene (as evident from my lack of posts), and I apparently missed a lot.
A few friends (Anoop, Amitha, Sunny) and I were planning a catch up dinner, and Amitha &Anoop mentioned several places that I had never heard of! Semilla? Xixa? Traif? Hadn't heard of these. Geez, didn't realize living under a rock for a month would put me totally out of the loop.

Anoop made a reservation for a Friday night, and away we went! Traif is a pork-centric restaurant located in Williamsburg. According to my sources, Traif means non-kosher food. How fitting that a pork-centric restaurant is named Traif, ha.

Diners can order off the a la carte menu or do the (reasonably priced) tasting menu. We opted for the latter, and we asked our waitress to bring out the *best* of the a la carte selections.  Our tasting menu was something like $50 or $60, and about 10 or 12 courses.

The lighting was quite dark and I forgot to take pictures of most of the food, but here are a few snaps:



{Braised short rib sliders}


{Escargots and gnocchi}


{Braised pork cheeks with polenta}




{Infamous bacon donuts}

Overall: I enjoyed the food and the price, and I would "trek" out to Williamsburg again to dine here. The only drawback was sitting in the "outside" room and it got kind of cold in there, so I guess I'll just come back in the summer!

Traif
229 S. 4th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211
http://www.traifny.com
(347) 844-9578

Call for reservations. Traif is open for Tuesday to Thursday, and Sunday, from 6pm to 12 am, and Friday and Saturday from 6pm to 1am. 

No comments :