Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Dining in New York: Balthazar




Balthazar, I've missed you! So much so, that I actually went twice in a week.
We all know I love Balthazar. I hadn't been since the summer, so I decided to make a reservation for last Friday and go with a friend. Then, Arti Tai was in town and we had already made plans to go this past Saturday.

My friends Mai & Paul got me the Balthazar cookbook for my birthday, but I've yet to make something other than the steak au poivre.

Both times, we started with the chicken liver and foie gras mousse with toasted bread. This is a must-order! Also, ask your server for more toasted bread. You will need it even if you are just a party of one.





I've never ordered oysters at Balthazar, and having a special guest from Seattle was a perfect occasion to try! We shared some blue point and well fleet oysters. I really hate to say this, but I think I prefer east coast oysters to west coast oysters.


And now, here she is! The beautiful steak au poivre! The steak comes with a sauce, I get it on the side so I can pour it on at my discretion. The second time I came, I forgot to ask to get it on the side. Still delicious.



{That's coq au vin in the back, I heard it was pretty good too!}


All dressed up and nowhere to go but my stomach! I should have exercised better portion control, I was pretty stuffed after finishing this entire thing.



Overall: I looooove the chicken liver and foie gras mousse. If you go, you must order that. I really hate to say this, but the steak au poivre wasn't as top notch as it usually is, I'm not sure what happened. I did hear that the duck confit and the coq au vin were both delicious, so I may have to branch out next time! As for dessert, I ordered the warm chocolate cake and the pot du creme. I think the signature dessert at Balthazar is the pot du creme, so if you have to pick one or the other, go with the pot du creme!

Balthazar
80 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012

(212) 965-1785
http://www.balthazarny.com

Balthazar is open for breakfast Monday - Friday from 7:30am-11:30am, lunch Monday - Friday from 12pm-5pm, dinner Monday - Sunday from 6pm-midnight, dinner (1am on Friday/Saturday) and brunch on weekends from 9am-4pm. Reservations are accepted on open table or by calling.

No comments :