Friday, March 20, 2015

Dining in New York: GG's


When my sister comes to visit, I usually take her to cool spots in the west village or soho. So, on her last visit, I promised to take her only to neighborhood spots. Sticking to my word, I took her to GG's for Sunday brunch. 

GG's opened up last fall, and had slowly creeped onto my radar because I saw lots of pictures of pizza on instagram. Pizza, my first love! I was sold to stop in for a visit.  

We shared the baked pasta carbonara, the ebony and ivory pizza, and the spoon bread. 



The ebony & ivory pizza features homemade morcilla (blood sausage - better than it sounds) with ricotta. I have to admit, I as a little skeptical to try the blood sausage, but since my sister liked it, I figured I would try at least a bite. Ebony & ivory, you stole a pizza my heart. 



All pizzas are served with extra ricotta on the side, so I slathered on even more ricotta than was really needed. 



{Spoon bread. Underwhelming}

Overall: I love that this spot is in my 'hood, affordable, delicious. and most importantly, that Sunday brunch doesn't have a ridiculous wait. I would definitely order the pizza and the carbonara again if I came in for brunch, but I would skip the spoon bread. I definitely want to come back for Grandma's pie, which is the square pepperoni pizza. While I haven't planned a group dinner here myself, I think this spot may also be good for large groups - so have a look at the site (link below) if you want to plan a casual birthday outing! 

GG's
511 East 5th Street (b/t A and B)
New York, New York 10009
(212) 687-3641

http://www.ggsnyc.com

The restaurant is open seven days a week from 11am-midnight. The restaurant only takes reservations for groups of 6 or more for brunch and limited reservations for groups of 4 or more for lunch and dinner.

No comments :