Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Daniel et Denise, Lyon, France


Lyon is filled with several charming bouchons and bistros that look just like the one above.
Our hotel concierge suggested we go to Daniel et Denise, a traditional bouchon, for lunch. The weather was perfect and we leisurely strolled to our destination.



This bouchon also had a set menu to choose from - a variety of tasting menus, and also an a la carte menu. Because I was feeling gluttonous, I went for the set menu.


We started with some fried pork cracklings and a creme fraiche type sauce, I just about gobbled this up. 



My first course was a poached egg in a rich wine sauce. The poached eggs cut the richness of the sauce, and the toasted bread was perfect to scoop it all up. Genius, these French people are, aren't they?



Well this dish below is basically the best thing I've ever eaten in my 30 years of life. Nooo, I'm not being dramatic at allll. This is macaroni au gratin. I am trying to track down a recipe so I can maybe re-create this at home.


Turns out I'm not a fan of beef cheek. Oh well, don't know till you try!


And, yet again we are faced with another spectacular dessert. The baked madelines were still warm from the oven, and the chocolate pot du creme was just as chocolatey as the macaroni au gratin was cheesey.




Restaurant Daniel et Denise

156 Rue de Crequi
69003 Lyon, France

+33 04 78 60 66 53

http://www.daniel-et-denise.fr/

You can make reservations online or by phone. The restaurant is open Monday - Friday for lunch from 12-2pm, and dinner from 7-10pm.

No comments :