Lavina and I decided to go mango crazy. Well, I wanted to make passion fruit ice cream, but for some reason Whole Foods doesn't have passion fruit pulp. Boo hoo hoo :( I'll try China Town next time.
I took my strawberry fro-yo recipe and just replaced mangos into the recipe. HOM.
In America, we only get the reject mangos. I actually don't even like mangos in America. I was pleasantly shocked during my first trip to India in which all mangos I ate were delicious (also refer to Sanjay's tribute to mangos). Asmi later told me that I should try all kinds of varieties and figure out which one is best for this summer treat. I am on a mission now! (after I find the passion fruit).
I'm making frozen mango lassi ice cream! yippee!
VOILA!! Mango frozen yogurt
Now, time for some healthy stuff....Mango Slaw, courtesy of smitten kitchen
Time to eat! nom nom nom
Mango Frozen Yogurt, adapted from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop, for Strawberry Fro-Yo:
- 1 bag of frozen mango chunks (or, you can use fresh mango, but this is what I chose to use). This substituted the 1 pound of fresh strawberries from The Perfect Scoop
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I used fage 0% to make this "healthier")
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 mangos, peeled, pitted and julienned
- 1-1 1/4 pound napa cabbage (trader joe's is great and has a bag of pre-shredded cabbage. This will be more than you need so you can save it for something else)
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons of fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. thinly sliced fresh mint leaves (yay for our herb garden)
- 1/4 cup toasted cashews (coarsely chopped)*
*Lavina picked up some fabulous thai-lime spiced cashews from Trader Joe's, which we used instead. It was a great substitution!