Monday, November 17, 2014

Bordier Butter


Allow me to introduce, Bordier butter, my greatest culinary love


When asked about what his last meal on earth would be, Chef David Chang said "I would want Bordier butter and good bread."

If isn't enough testament for you...

Let's flash back to when Sarika and I were visiting Paris last Thanksgiving. We went to Spring, and I proclaimed its bread and butter was culinary crack. I had no idea what kind of gem I had stumbled upon!

Fast forward to reading up on what to do in Paris for my birthday trip last month. I read an article on Bon Appetit on the best food souvenirs to bring back from Paris. Bordier butter topped number one on that list, but I largely ignored the article, figuring I'd deal with food souvenirs when I arrived in Paris.

Nathan and I went back to Spring for dinner, and this time, I made sure to ask our server how Spring makes its butter. He smiled and said "Oh it is not made here, it is Bordier!". The wheels turned in my head and I exclaimed "OH! It's like the butter in that Bon Appetit article!". What made this butter so special? I wondered. A magician never reveals his secrets...but according to my online research, Monsieur Jean-Yves Bordier uses the best ingredients (i.e. happy grass fed cows merrily chomping away in pastures in Normandy) and a hand churned method that rests for 72 hours (whereas American butter rests for just 6). This results in simply the best butter I have ever had.

I spent the next few days figuring out how to procure this delicious nectar, and most importantly, how to safely transport it back to Uh-merica. I was worried that it would melt, or get seized at customs in the US, so sort of put this initiative on the back burner.

On our final morning in Paris, our breakfast at the Saint James hotel came with a spread of Bordier. We looked at each other and knew at that moment we had to track it down and not leave the country with out it.



I found a grocery store in Le Marais (Cafe Breizh), and Nathan and I stocked up on the ethereal dairy goodness before us. We picked up packages of of demi-sel, demi sel au fume (smoked salt), and vanilla. Nathan safely packed this in his check in bag. It was a bit chilly that day, I'd imagine in summer temperatures this may not work. Once we arrived at JFK, Nathan declared the goods to customs officers, and they let him pass without a look.

Our Bordier stash had made it home safely, hip hip hooray! In the next few weeks, we smeared it on just about every carbohydrate we could get our hands on. Mostly, Bien Cuit croissants and Bien Cuit bread.

I am already fantasizing about my trip to Saint Malo, home of Bordier. In the meantime, I've tried searching online to see how I can buy this butter in the US, no luck. There are alternatives available such as Echire, and I am planning to order them and see how they compare.

Oh, my darling Bordier, love you and can't wait to be reunited with you again. Till then, kale chips!

No comments :