Friday, November 16, 2012

My Beloved Kale Chips

Since November is unofficially VS Fashion Show prep month/tribute to flat abs here at Hom Nom, I am continuing on my quest to find healthier recipes. How could I forget my favorite thing in the entire world? Kale chips! I am in love with kale chips. I eat them as a side for dinner every night when I am at home.

I am gas-less in my apartment for the next two weeks, so I won't be able to bake anything for the time being. But, I am looking forward to going home for Thanksgiving and eating them to my heart's content.
The lone, sad photo I have of my kale chips, post-baking. I swear these are better than potato chips. Promise! And, more economical than buying the prepared ones at the store. At Trader Joe's, I can buy a bag of kale for approximately $2.29 for a 10 ounce bag, whereas, Trader Joe's also sells Nacho Kale Chips for $3.99 for a 2 ounce bag. I am not a spokesperson for Trader Joe's or anything, I just recently realized how much I love the store for its value. I know the lines are super duper long in the Union Square location, but by the time I've read a few articles in my magazine, checked instagram, and read my messages on Whats App, I am at the front of the line. Maybe I will start doing squats and tricep curls with my 15 ounce can of chickpeas. Jokes, all jokes.


Kale Chips, a Hom Nom original recipe!

Serves 1, but can be increased

Ingredients
  • 2 stalks of Kale leaves (any variety), or 2 handfuls from a pre-washed pre-cut bag
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • Pinch of kosher salt or fleur de sal 
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or similar (aluminum foil? parchment paper?).

Most of the time, I buy a bag of kale from Trader Joe's that is already shredded into pieces and washed. If you buy normal kale, you will want to tear the leaves off the main stalk into bite size pieces, rinse and dry, making sure you get most of the water off. I spin mine a few times in my salad spinner. 

In a small bowl, add the kale, olive oil and salt and mix with your hands. Place on the baking sheet and into the oven. Bake for 11-14 minutes. The kale chips are done when the outsides are a darker green, and the leaves feel crispy to a touch. Don't over-bake them, as the kale chips will become bitter tasting.

Chomp away!

If you love kale like I do, and need more inspiration, you can check this out...there is also an alternate recipe for kale chips! I am hoping to try the kale mac and cheese next! 

No comments :