Friday, February 8, 2013

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Pancakes

Just in time for a lazy weekend ahead!

I hardly ever make pancakes in NYC, mostly because pancakes are a weekend thing, and I'm either not in town on weekend, or, I would end up with two dozen, and that is a lot of pancakes for just one person to eat. But, Nemo was scheduled to hit, and I was in the mood to splurge on a chocolate chippy breakfast, so voila!

Snowday + extra buttermilk left over from when I made the heart shaped scones = buttermilk pancakes!
I used to make pancakes with my friends during sleepovers from age 13-18. Usually some form of 10 Things I Hate About You was involved. I just threw together bisquick, milk, and eggs until I got the consistency I wanted. 


The more chocolate chips, the merrier!



You will know the pancakes are ready to flip when the edges are slightly golden and the pancake begins to bubble up. Kind of like the photo below.



Oops. Who took a bite out of this pancake?


Sunday brunch perfection!


Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Pancakes

Serves 2

Ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder 
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda 
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/3 cup buttermilk 
  • 2-3 handfuls of chocolate chips
  • Butter for the skillet 
In a medium sized bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients. 

In a small bowl, mix together the eggs and buttermilk. Start with just 1 cup of buttermilk for now. Once you mix the wet and dry ingredients together, you might want to add more.  

Heat a skillet up. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir to mix. Add in the chocolate chips and stir some more to incorporate. I'd also advise eating a handful out of the bag while you stir, that should satisfy your morning sweet tooth. After combining, you may need to add more buttermilk at this point - I did - so free hand in small increments until you get the consistency that you want. I like a consistency that is more like brownie batter, so I added just a tad more than 1/3 cup. 

Scoop about 1/4 cup fulls into the skillet. My skillet is only big enough for one pancake at a time. The pancake is ready to flip when it starts to get bubbly on one side and the edges look golden brown. If you are (impatient) like me, you will probably eat your first pancake while waiting for the rest to cook. NBD.

If for some reason you don't eat these all in one sitting, you can just keep them in the fridge, covered, and heat them up on a skillet again when you are ready to dig into your leftovers. 

No comments :