Friday, April 24, 2015

Soft Scrambled Eggs



Make this for brunch this weekend!


My instacart delivery window time was unavailable for the time I needed last night. So, that gave me two options: go back to ABC Kitchen and have the fluke crudo, or, forage through what I have at home. Since I just went to ABC Kitchen earlier this week, I decided to exercise some self control (ha) and cook at home. All I had was peanut butter, kind bars, popcorn, eggs, and tortillas. Well, let's be honest, I ate the peanut butter, kind bar(s), and popcorn for lunch. So, that left me with eggs and tortillas.

A quick google search of "soft scrambled eggs" led me straight to...Jean Georges. Yes, the man who gave me ABC Kitchen. Funny how that worked! I watched him work his magic in this link and then clicked through to find the recipe. This is actually a simple recipe, just make sure you have top quality ingredients, I noticed that makes a big difference in taste.


{Chef JGV starts with a cold square side pan, not a warm skillet!}






Soft Scrambled Eggs, recipe from Jean Georges / Bon Appetit 

Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 4 large eggs (I use Carol's Heirloom Brown Eggs) 
  • 2 tbsp. chilled unsalted butter, divided (I use Beurre de Pamplie)
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Kosher salt
Remember - you don't need to heat your saucepan before cracking your eggs! According to the Maestro, a heated pan creates rubbery eggs. 

Crack your eggs into the room temperature saucepan, and add in a dash of cayenne and kosher salt. Place over medium-low heat and cook, whisking constantly, while scraping the bottom and sides of the pan. Remove from heat after the eggs have thickened and began to form curds, this will take about 3-4 minutes, and it will happen fast! Remove the pan from the heat, add the remaining 1/2 tbsp. of butter and whisk until melted. The chilled butter apparently stops the eggs from cooking further. Who knew?  

Serve in bowls, or, you can also serve with my kale, egg, and caramelized onion wrap! To be honest, these eggs are so buttery and delicious they deserve to be eaten alone!  

No comments :