Monday, April 6, 2015

Food While Traveling: Puesto, San Diego, CA



San Diego has numerous draws - blue skies, sandy beaches, not much rain, and incredible Mexican food. While I don't think I've heard much of San Diego being a food destination (like Charleston or Austin), I didn't want to leave without eating tacos galore.

And, sorry in advance, I didn't take more than one photo at Puesto, and the lighting was horrible. Photos not indicative of food quality.


When I'm doing research on where to eat, I usually turn to Eater.com. It offers tons of insight and tips on a majority of US cities. I scanned Eater San Diego, and decided to pick some restaurants off its "hot right now" list. Puesto came up, and it fit the bill. I got a reservation for the four of us for a Friday night just a few days before our trip.

Puesto, run by three San Diego locals, offers Mexican street food made with fresh and organic ingredients and sustainable seafood (that was the draw to my family). I've never actually had street food in Mexico, so I can't vouch for authenticity, but, I can vouch for deliciousness.

We were seated outside (coming from cold NYC, this was amazing), and ordered cocktails to start. My dad had his first mezcal, my sister had a grapefruit cocktail, and my mom had some sangria.

We ordered some guacamole to start, just the plain kind. This was just okay, I would recommend ordering the crab guacamole.

Then we shared a whole slew of tacos, a bowl, and some grilled corn. We ordered the carnitas, the lamb barbacoa, and the chicken verde. We also ordered a whole order of the fish tacos. The fish tacos were just okay, but all the other plates were literally finger licking good. Yes, I was literally licking my fingers.

Overall: I would recommend this place for dinner or lunch. The environment is family friendly, and service is quick, and the food and cocktails are tasty. The portions are also small enough that you won't blow any healthy eating diet you are trying to stick to!

Puesto 
789 West Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101

http://www.eatpuesto.com

There is a second location in La Jolla, I don't think that is a full service menu though. I made reservations on opentable.com.

No comments :