Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Scallops and Salmon

                       

{The scene at Pike Place Market}
I love New York, but, nothing beats a Seattle summer. I'm so fortunate to call Seattle home, and even more fortunate to have the chance to leave the stifling city during the summer for an escape to Seattle's glittering waters and cool breezes. My sister will smugly remind you that I dislike swimming, so I will just be looking at the ocean and instagramming it, not actually getting in.


On the way home from my mom's birthday celebration at the Willows Inn on Lummi Island, my family and I stopped by at Pike Place to pick up some fresh seafood for dinner - scallops and salmon!




My mom thought to drizzle the browned butter over the scallops for a little extra indulgence.

 

See, sisters CAN share! 


But not for long...


Check out how pink this salmon is! My best friend Avani works for Seafood International, and she told me that Americans in general aren't certain on the best way to prepare seafood, and view seafood as a 'going out to dinner treat'. The recipes below are quite quick and easy, and nothing to be intimidated by!


And here it is all prepared...


Aaaand, ready to eat with some Basmati rice. At home in New York, I usually serve my salmon with quinoa and kale chips. 


Seared Scallops

Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 1 lb of Scallops (each person should get 2-3 scallops)
  • 1 tbsp of butter
  • salt and pepper as seasoning 
Rinse the scallops and pat dry. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the scallops (make sure you season both sides).

Place a skillet on the stove over high heat, and add the butter. Once the butter has melted, add the scallops to the skillet. Sear on each side for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. Drizzle remaining butter from pain over scallops if desired. Serve immediately.

Easy Salmon

Serves 6

Ingredients
  • 2 lbs of Copper River Salmon (or any fresh, line caught Salmon you see from Alaska/Pacific Northwest)
  • 1/2 tbsp. Olive oil 
  • Salt and pepper 
  • 1/2 of a lemon, sliced 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rinse the salmon with cold water and thoroughly pat dry. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or a silpat (for easy cleaning!). Place the salmon on the baking sheet, skin side down, and rub the fish with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper as a seasoning. Place the lemon slices on top of the fish.

Bake the fish for approximately 20 minutes, the salmon is done when the center is opaque.