Thursday, June 26, 2014

Chocolate Ice Cream

Yay, today we have my first ice cream for Summer 2014!
I'm not as huge as an ice cream fanatic as I was when I first purchased my ice cream maker back in 2010. But what that really means is that I just don't make ice cream in the winter anymore. I decided to welcome summer with my "fave fave" flavor, chocolate!
     

By some miracle, I haven't finished this entire container of ice cream...yet...

                   

Chocolate Ice Cream

Makes 1 Quart

Ingredients
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar 
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract 
  • 1 cup semi sweet chocolate
In a medium size bowl, add three egg yolks and the sugar, and set aside. 

In a saucepan, heat the whole milk and heavy cream until it starts to get some light bubbles on the side but NOT to boiling.  Once this is heated, gradually pour this into the egg yolk/sugar mixture, while stirring with a whisk. 

Pour everything back into the original saucepan and heat over medium heat. This last step in the process is what cooks the egg yolks, but, over cook it and you could end up with scrambled eggs. Let this mixture heat until the mixture coats the back of your spatula. Remove from heat, add the vanilla extract and the semi sweet chocolate chips, stirring to make sure they melt. You probably should strain this over a sieve, I skipped this step.

Let the mixture cool to room temperature, then stick it in your refrigerator for a few hours.

Once the mixture is chilled, pour it into your chilled ice cream maker and churn for about 30-40 minutes. 

No comments :