Thursday, February 13, 2014

Dover

One of my favorite things to keep tabs on is restaurant openings around town. With things such as Eater, the NY Mag Power Rankings, and Tables for Two in the New Yorker, it is pretty easy to get a long mental list of "where to eat next". After reading about Dover for a few weeks, I made a reservation for Amitha and I to go check it out.
Dover is the sister restaurant to Battersby, both of which are located in Carroll Gardens-ish area of Brooklyn.

We decided to go with the 7 course tasting menu. This may sound like a lot of food, but somehow I managed to lick every plate clean.

To start, some fresh baked bread, butter, and ricotta.


Oysters on the half shell! 


                                   

Our first course was the Scallop Crudo. The white cheese like thing you see below is actually...buttermilk! I haven't had buttermilk in ages - so this was unique for me. This was also served with some caviar and a dash of lemon zest (?). Now that I think about it, this is kind of like when caviar is served with creme fraiche and a lemon! 



Our second course was a roasted sunchoke dish. I'd like to thank Piora for opening my eyes to the world of sunchokes. Now I can't get enough of them anywhere I go. Move over kale, sunchokes are coming to town.


Our third course was seared foie gras with huckleberry, served on brioche. I'm not sure who invented this combination, but he/she was a genius. 


This course was black bass with artichoke and a barigoule sauce. Barigoule sauce is another new one to me - I hadn't heard of it before I came to Dover. I didn't know it was a "thing" to combine artichokes and barigoule sauce, but it was tasty. I only made the connection that it was a "thing" when I went to Piora recently and had a dish with this kind of combination, but with egg instead of fish.


Tajarin is a type of pasta, I had never heard of it before. Ours was served with tons of truffles and a brown butter sauce. This was my favorite dish of the tasting menu.


Our final course - lamb ribs! These were just okay. As I said, the pasta was my favorite dish.


And for dessert, we had a cheesecake mousse with verjus sorbet. 

                                     

I liked Dover, but I think all the rave reviews left me with higher expectations. I don't think I would make a special trip out to Brooklyn to dine here all the time, but I would recommend you stop in if you live in the area or will be close by. I would come back next time I'm in Brooklyn, and I still want to check out Battersby as a comparison! 

No comments :