Monday, March 7, 2011

Passion Fruit Ice Cream Pie

Becca and I were hungry on this past rainy Sunday afternoon.  Magically a passion fruit pie appeared in front of us.  We devoured it while discussing menus for our future dinner parties, flipping through my Lonely Planet The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country In The World, and brainstorming how to celebrate Becca's upcoming 23rd birthday.

Becca believes this is the best dessert I have ever made for her and was sincerely grateful to have the pie (and me) all to herself.  I'm flattered!

The pie consisted of the crust, vanilla ice cream layer, and dulce de leche/passion fruit topping, all topped with shredded coconut.

I found dulce de leche at Whole Foods...same brand that my sister got in Buenos, but not at Buenos Aires prices.


Pressing the ginger crust into the springform pan.  The crust turned out hard and crunchy, and the hints of the candied ginger were really nice.  I think I would throw in more pineapple next time.


The ice cream came out soft-serve like, creamy and with the right hint of sweetness.  The sauce was smooth, sugary, and more dulce de leche-y than passion fruity.  I think I would add more passion fruit to enhance the flavor, as, after all, this is passion fruit pie.  I am saving the leftovers as an ice cream topper!


Passion Fruit Ice Cream Pie, adapted from Food & Wine

Serves 8-10 (or just 2, depending on your appetite)

Special Considerations: You will have to chill this pie for at least 2 1/2 hours, but the prep work is minimal.

Ingredients
  • One 8-ounce box of gingersnaps, lightly crushed
  • 1 dried sweetened pineapple ring, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tbsp. coarsely chopped candied ginger
  • 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened (I left mine out on the counter for about 90 minutes)
  • 1 1/4 cups (16 ounces) dulce de leche
  • 1/2 cup passion fruit nectar (I found some at Kalustyan's in Murray Hill)
  • 3 pints vanilla ice cream, slightly softened* (I made ice cream from scratch and used almost the whole quart)
  • 1/4 cup roasted, salted pistachios, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tbsp. shredded sweetened coconut 
In a food processor, combine the crushed gingersnaps, pineapple ring, ginger and butter until fine crumbs form.  Press the crumbs evenly into the bottom of a 9" springform pan.  Freeze until firm, about 10 minutes, though I let mine sit for 30 minutes.

In a blender, process the passion fruit nectar and dulce de leche until smooth.

First spread 1 pint of vanilla ice cream on the bottom of the crust.  Scoop the remaining two pints into the crust.  Drizzle about 3/4 cup of the dulce de leche sauce over the ice cream.  Sprinkle with pistachios and the coconut shreds.  Freeze until firm, at least 2 1/2 hours (I froze it overnight).

Remove the ring, and cut the pie into wedges.  Serve with the remaining sauce.

Ending Notes: If I were to make this again, I'd sub the vanilla ice cream for passion fruit ice cream to kick up the flavor.  Becca absolutely loved this pie and has requested that I bring it to the next Palace Dinner.


3 comments :

Unknown said...

this is.. dare i say.. top 2 (the other contender being my red velvet cupcakes)

Lavina said...

SO THAT WAS WHAT WAS IN THE FREEZER SAT NIGHT! hahaha

Lavina said...

I CAN EAT IT. wow. now that's amazing haha.