Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Ricotta Stuffed Squash Blossoms


Any time I go to the Union Square farmer's market, my eyes are always bigger than my reusable bags and eyes.  I had been wanting to make some squash blossoms all summer long, but never really acted on it.  So, finally I saw some at the market and got them on the spot.  The first time I had squash blossoms was last summer at Pure Food and Wine.  They were so amazing!  I guess I should see if Pure has a cookbook I can get the recipe from.

There were some creepy looking bugs inside the box, but thats what you get for buying organic.  Yes it was scary.  I hate bugs.


Yummmmmm town!  Ricotta!  The kind you get at the farmer's market is way better than the stuff at Whole Foods.  Yeah, whole milk and all...but I usually don't get it so it's a nice treat!


Basil from our mini-herb garden


Mixing all the parmesan, ricotta and basil together



The stuffed blossoms, ready to go!



Sautéing the stuffed blossoms


Ricotta Stuffed Squash Blossoms, adapted from various sources.  The following made about 8 squash blossoms.  
  • Fresh squash blossoms, with stems removed, and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 cup parmesan reggiano, grated
  • 1/2 tbsp. chopped basil (fresh)
  • Oil, for sauteing 
Remove the stems from the squash blossoms, and soak in a bowl of water.

Mix the ricotta, parmesan and basil in a bowl.  Heat some oil in a pan.  Spoon about 1-2 teaspoons of the cheese mixture into the squash blossom, and tie to close (this is difficult if the flowers are wilting - which is why you want fresh blossoms and want to use them they day you buy them).  

Lightly sauté the blossoms, about 2 minutes on each side.  Serve warm. 

Most recipes called for deep frying the squash blossoms.  I really was not too impressed with how mine turned out.  They were kind of soggy and a little too oily for me.  I'm not sure if it was because mine didn't seem super fresh?  Or maybe I should just leave it to the professionals and Pure Food and Wine.  I'll have to see if I can score the recipe from Pure next summer (when the blossoms are back).  

No comments :