Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Quinoa Falafels


Still in my falafel phase...I found this recipe on sproutedkitchen.com and thought it could be tasty.  I did have left-over quinoa so this would be a good way to use it up.
Measuring out the quinoa


Remember the time I went gung-ho at the farmer's market, and bought green onions the size of my head?Oh yeah.  That time.




Blending all the ingredients up.


Sesame seeds, cumin and coriander add a really great touch to the recipe


Toasting the sesame seeds to enhance their flavor


So this is what it all looks like once blended up - quinoa, chickpeas, sesame and all


Toasting my falafel patties




Sure - these didn't taste like Mamoun's, but, I liked the unique addition of quinoa.  They were still very good - in a pita, or on top of some romaine with some cilantro-yogurt sauce.  

Quinoa Falafels  (serves 4, or, lunch for the whole week!), adapted from sproutedkitchen.com, which was adapted from cookingafterfive.com
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onions (about 3, or 1 huge one)
  • 1 can garbanzo beans
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 2 tsp. coriander
  • 2 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to boil.  Add quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to low.  Cook until the liquid is absorbed (depends on the type of quinoa - so check your box instructions).  Set aside to cool. 

In a blender, or a food processor (or faux food processor), pulse the green onions, chickpeas, sesame seeds, lemon juice, garlic cloves, coriander and cumin. 

Add the quinoa and pulse until it is chunky-ish.  Set in the fridge for about an hour or so.  

Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp. of olive oil.  Scoop the mixture out in about 2 tbsp. size portions, roll, and flatten into patties.  Sear them in a saucepan for about 3 minutes on each side.  If the pan gets dry, add more olive oil between batches.  

I ate mine over a bed of romaine lettuce with the same yogurt-cilantro sauce I made with the baked falafel.  I also threw in some tomatoes and diced cucumbers.  You could also put these falafels into pita bread.  

Any which way you do it, they are delicious!

3 comments :

Unknown said...

despite my distaste for quinoa, this does actually sound good

Lavina said...

this could make me like quinoa more. i am indifferent to it right now.

Love the garlic pic!

Jane said...

Really yummy! Prepared this a night in advance and cooked them up the next day and they were great on a salad. I followed your cooking suggestion for baked falafel vs doing this in a pan.

Next time I may add a pinch of sea salt. I always buy no salt added garbanzos so usually need to add a bit to taste.