Monday, July 8, 2013

Berry and Avocado Smoothie

Yacht week is right around the corner! I needed a (healthy-ish) mix-up to my normal kale smoothie, so I researched different types of smoothie recipes. I've always wanted to try a smoothie made with avocado instead of a banana - voila! Easy to make and very filling! 
As I have suggested before - I'd pick up your avocados from the store a few days before you plan to make anything with avocados. I put mine in a bowl with my bananas and apples and they seem to ripen up in one or two days. 







Berry & Avocado Smoothie, recipe adapted from various sources

Serves 1 

Ingredients
  • 1 cup blueberries (or you could do 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup blueberries)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 2 tsp. flax seed
  • 1 tsp. whey protein powder
  • 2 handfuls spinach
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • a few ice cubes if you aren't using frozen fruit
Place the the almond milk and water in the blender first, then the spinach/berries/avocado, and then the flax seed and protein powder. Blend everything for a minute or two. If I'm not drinking this immediately, I put it into a blender bottle, and store in my fridge to grab on the go the next morning. 

No comments :