Monday, June 17, 2013

Arugula, Strawberry, and Goat Cheese Salad

I was in spin class on Saturday morning, and was getting pretty hungry. To avoid thinking about the burn in my thighs while spinning away, I alternated between staring blankly at the TV screens outside the class and day dreaming about what I would eat for lunch when I got home. The plan was to make a peach, goat cheese, and arugula salad. Once I got to Union Square, there were no peaches in sight...so I had to pick something else. I perused the market, until I passed a booth that had some fresh-smelling strawberries. Voila!


Still waiting for peaches, but these strawberries will do. Also good for: strawberry-basil ice cream and almond milk strawberry smoothies.



Strawberry/balsamic is a classic combination. Something about the vinegar bringing out the flavor of the strawberries. In any case, this salad was quick, easy, and filling, so I could head back outside and enjoy the beautiful NYC summer day.


Arugula, Strawberry, and Goat Cheese Salad, recipe adapted from various sources

Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 6 ounces grilled chicken, cubed
  • 4 handfuls arugula 
  • 2 cups strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced 
  • 1/2 green apple, cored and sliced into thin slices
  • 1/4 red onion sliced into thin slices
  • 1 stalk green onion
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon slivered almonds 
  • 2 ounce goat cheese
In a lightly greased saucepan (I use Trader Joe's coconut oil spray), prepare the grilled chicken. I purchased pre-cooked diced chicken, but you can do the cooking and slicing yourself if you want. 

While the chicken is cooking, place the arugula in a large bowl. Add the apples, strawberries, red onions, and green onions. In another small bowl, mix together the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. 

Once the chicken is cooked, add it to the salad. The arugula will wilt slightly. Add in the balsamic/oil dressing and mix to combine. Top with slivered almonds and goat cheese. 

This also works as a portable lunch. I've made this the night before and it has been just fine for lunch. You could also prepare the salad dressing on the side and pour it over your salad when you are ready to eat it. 

No comments :