Saturday, September 15, 2012

Caprese Salad

I had basically a whole package of basil left over from my Aubergines & Quinoa dish, and I wanted a quick way to get finish it up. I knew I would be going to the farmer's market on Saturday, and would find some tomatoes, and some kind of artisinal mozzarella cheese or the other. My mind was basically made with what to make - CAPRESE SALAD! Done.

This is probably one of the quickest recipes I've ever made. And, very versatile. A snack for one, an appetizer for a dinner party, brunch.

Fresh from the farmers market! I made it there around noon or so, and there were still plenty of goodies left.


All finished in a commercial break during Real Housewives of Miami! See - it IS quick!


Caprese Salad, recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Serves 2 

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 whole tomatoes, you could use heirloom but I chose a regular red one and a yellow looking one
  • 4 ounces mozzarella, cut into thick slices
  • Fresh basil leaves
  • Olive oil (I measured out 2 tsp. to be slightly calorie conscious given how much mozzarella I was going to eat, but you can drizzle away) 
  • A sprinkle of Fleur de Sal or Kosher salt and ground pepper
In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, bring the balsamic vinegar to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the balsamic vinegar has reduced and has the consistency of a glaze. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl, letting it cool down. 

Arrange the tomato and mozzarella slices on a platter (or in my case, plate). Place the basil leaves between the slices. Drizzle the olive oil over the slices, and then top with the balsamic reduction, and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.

No comments :