Sunday, December 25, 2011

Lamb Sliders


During the holidays, my mom brought home some brioche slider buns from Macrina bakery. After eating one plain, I decided I needed to make sliders to do the buttery, soft rolls some justice. When my sister and I went to the grocery store to pick up ingredients for our Christmas brunch and dinner, I became inspired to make some lamb sliders as an appetizer. Some kalamata olives, feta cheese and shallots later, we had a full burger!

Who doesn't love cheese on a burger? Well, this time we moved the feta inside...


Mixing up the lamb, olives and feta. We actually didn't use any other seasoning - and these came out perfect. I think the cheese and olives were salty enough to make up for leaving out any additional salt. 


Slider patties....Even our widdle guy got a widdle burger! (scroll to the bottom)


A little too rare for my tastes...


Who could have possibly eaten the stray fried feta cheese bits left in the skillet afterwards? Not me. Ok. Maybe it was me.


The shallots were much more flavorful than sauteed red onions would have been. We all know how much I love shallots from prior fondue recipes!


Lamb Sliders, a Hom Nom original recipe! 

Serves 4-6

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound of ground lamb (or, I suppose you could grind it yourself if you had a nice little meat grinder attachment to your Kitchenaid)
  • 8 kalamata olives, pitted and cut into small pieces (I cut mine length wise and then diced them)
  • 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbeled
  • 2 shallots, diced
  • 4-6 brioche sliders, cut in half
In a medium bowl, mix together the kalamata olives and feta cheese. Add the ground lamb, and combine (with your hands is easiest). I then made 8 patties and a mini patty for my nephew Cooper. 

Heat your grill or skillet (I used a cast iron skillet) over medium heat. Add the patties (make sure that each patty has enough space). You will notice that the patties will brown quickly - your cook time will depend on how done you like your lamb. I like medium rare, but my parents like well done. And my nephew Cooper can only eat well done.  I cooked the patties for a little under 10 minutes - 3-4 minutes on one side and another 3-4 on the other side. 

Remove the patties from the skillet, keep the skillet on, and add the diced shallots, sautéing them for about 2 minutes. Drain some oil (I poured mine into an empty skillet on the stove) and toast the buns in the same warm skillet for a few minutes.

Assemble burgers with a patty and a few shallots on top. Because they are sliders, you can more or less devour them in a bite (or two)! 



Cooper got his patty, but had to work for it by learning how to "give". 


No comments :