Friday, March 27, 2015

Kale, Egg, and Caramelized Onion Wrap



A health-conscious friend of mine mentioned a cafe near my office named Little Beet, and how this place offers healthy meal options and is SPE certified.



I hadn't heard of the term "SPE certified". It is a third party certification that indicates that a restaurant is committed to nutrition, sustainability, and customer well-being. Food-service establishments are rated on operations (sourcing/sustainability, nutrition and menu balance, and training and transparency), and what is being served (use of nutrient dense ingredients, adheres to portion guidelines, etc). At the moment, this certification is only available in establishments located in Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey, and New York.

Anyway, my friend mentioned how he usually gets the egg-white and kale wrap. I normally bring in my breakfast and lunch to avoid dangerous temptations (Bagels, Burger Joint, Halal Guys, Menkeu Tei), but I thought that Little Beet could be a healthy option in a pinch. So off I went one morning to try this wrap. Sadly, it was terrible, because the ribs of the kale were left in the wrap, which made it hard to chew...the whole thing fell apart on me. And it was $8. In that case, I would suggest sticking to the starbucks breakfast sandwiches!

I decided to try to make this myself and bring it in for breakfast. I even added in some caramelized onions, which adds a sweet, "splurge" feeling taste to this wrap. SO easy, and far superior to Little Beet's! Also, so much cheaper. So a win on all accounts.




               

               

Kale, Egg, and Caramelized Onion Wrap, inspired by Little Beet

Serves 1

Ingredients
  • 1 whole wheat or brown rice tortilla 
  • 1 whole egg (you could do two egg whites instead if you wanted)
  • 1 handful of kale, with the ribs removed 
  • Caramelized onions (see recipe below)
Steam the kale. I do this by placing a few inches of water in a saucepan, and then place a silicon steamer into the pan, and add the kale. I bring the water to a boil and cover the lid, and let the kale steam for about 4 minutes. 

Heat a small saute pan, and once heated, warm up your tortilla in the pan. Remove and place on a plate. Add some butter or oil to the saute pan and crack your egg into the pan and scramble with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula. 

Add the kale and caramelized onions to the saute pan and mix the eggs and kale together. Fold into the tortilla, roll up, and enjoy! 

Since I take this to work, I put the kale, egg, and onions into a tupperware, and when I want to eat it, I heat the tortilla and the egg mix all together in the microwave for 30 seconds. 

Caramelized Onions, recipe from Physique 57 

Makes 1 cup 

Note that 1 cup is enough caramelized onions for me to use in my wrap for the whole work week, not just one serving size. 

Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil 
  • 1 large Vidalia or yellow onion, sliced
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth as needed, about 1/4 cup 
In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter and the olive oil. Add the onions, salt, and pepper; cook for about 5-10 minutes, stirring often. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring often and adding a little bit of broth as necessary to keep the onions from sticking. The onions are done when the color changes to a deep golden brown, and they are wilted and creamy, about 20-30 minutes. 

No comments :