Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Vegan Pad Thai


In celebration of my new job, Asmi wanted to do something fun.  We've been wanting to try Dirt Candy, but I was kind of in a noodly mood, so we opted for cooking at home.  Plus, I love new additions to my food blog!


Okay, I might have been a bit over-zealous at the farmers market.  You've seen scallions at your grocery store.  But I guess WILD and FREE scallions grow to the size of leeks!


Tequila, mojitos, thai food...all things that need lime.


Squeeze away! This looks like some thigh-master contraption...but I swear it's just a tool to juice citrus fruits!


Here we have soy sauce, lime juice, and palm sugar.  You can find palm sugar in more ethnic markets (I don't think Whole Foods carries it as of yet), but Kalustyan's did indeed have it.  It is processed from the sap of certain palm trees...so...to me, that is synonymous with EXOTIC DISHES! Like, those dishes from Thailand.


Mixing them all together


Stir-frying the broccoli before we add the noodles and the sauce.  You could probably also add some bell peppers and sweet peas in here for flair.  


And here it is, simmering away and smelling absolutely delicious.  Topped with some cilantro, and you have a relatively quick, delicious and easy weekday dinner meal too!


Vegan Pad Thai, adapted from Chef Chloe

  • 8 ounces brown rice noodles (I used regular pad thai noodles)
  • 4 tbsp. palm sugar
  • 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice, plus additional for serving
  • 4 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 2 tsp. canola or olive oil, or a spray of Pam on your skillet
  • 3 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 bunch broccoli, stemmed 
  • 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro (or, if you are like me and LOVE cilantro, throw in a bit extra!)
Cook the noodles - this probably means boil water and drop the noodles in, cooking for about 4-5 minutes.  But follow the instructions on the package.

In a small bowl, whisk together the palm sugar, lime juice and soy sauce.

In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Add the scallions and the garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add in the broccoli, noodle and soy sauce and toss together until well mixed with the sauce. 

Serve the noodles sprinkled with some cilantro and a lime wedge.  

Between the green onions, garlic and cilantro, my kitchen smelled absolutely amazing.  I wonder if cilantro scented candles exist?  Actually...that might be kind of gross so never mind.  

No comments :